All SPEAR clients from across our different services are invited to be part of the Client Service Involvement Group. They are involved in many areas such as giving feedback on SPEAR’s services, volunteering and assisting at events and other activities.
Client Service Involvement Groups run throughout the organisation, following an agenda that promotes client involvement in a variety of areas, including:
- Offering practical support at events
- Giving presentations to the public about their experience and SPEAR’s work
- Inputting their ideas and feedback through surveys
- Encouraging other clients to get further involved in SPEAR
Our Service Involvement Group ensures the voice of our clients is heard. In addition, through meeting others who have been through similar experiences to themselves, they can gain support, understanding and friendship.
Events our Service Involvement Group and some other SPEAR clients have been involved in, since 2017:
- 12 clients from our Service Involvement Group became qualified First Aiders (7 of these were Peer Mentors and 5 of them were SPEAR clients from different services and hostels)
- Around 35 clients attend our SPEAR Christmas party on average each year
- Clients from our hostels have helped with gardening projects
- Day trips to Kew Gardens and a day trip to Barnes Wetlands Centre
- Boat trips to Hampton Court and a palace tour
- Rounders – playing against CGL – a local charity who also played with staff and service users
- Rugby tournament organised by St George – SPEAR field a joint staff and client team to play against other corporate teams.
- Local fairs including Kew, Hands Fair – Twickenham, Barnes, Hampton Hill. Clients helped on the stalls, gave leaflets out and talked to people about SPEAR.
- Ambassadors – giving presentations in schools and community groups.
- Service User Forum Involvement at St George’s Health Trust – SPEAR clients gave input into redeveloping services with an aim of improving them.
- Partnership with Leonard Cheshire’s ‘Can Do’ who donated SPEAR Christmas gifts and visited for the day with their service users too,together we wrapped presents and shared stories.
- Art sessions with coffee and cake
- Haircutting sessions for clients
- Monthly outdoor games from April – September
- Poetry workshops via Zoom
- Quarterly client creative competitions – clients submit photographs, poetry, sculptures and more in order to be in the running to win a prize