Skills Development and Wellbeing Improvement are a central part of all keywork at SPEAR. Our Skills and Wellbeing pathways allow people to build up their confidence, learn new skills such as IT, literacy and CV writing, and is critical to improving confidence and wellbeing.
We know that increased self-esteem comes with small steps of change. These steps make the difference in maintaining a home and breaking the cycle of homelessness.
Some highlights from Skills and Wellbeing at SPEAR:
- All SPEAR clients can access our Pre-Employment Training Programme – a partnership with Wandsworth Lifelong Learning – that provides a range of courses to get clients ready for work.
- In July 2020, SPEAR partnered with Only a Pavement Away – a charity for the employment of the homeless, ex-offenders and vulnerable veterans into careers within the hospitality industry. This creates pathways for our clients.
- SPEAR works in partnership with WorkMatch to provide construction training and pathways into construction-based work.
- SPEAR clients and staff can access our Wellbeing Programme – a series of courses to improve wellbeing and build confidence.
- The Volunteer Mentor Programme launched in September 2020, linking clients with appropriate volunteers to provide one-to-one mentoring support around Skills and Wellbeing pathways for up to six one-hour sessions. The programme was planned and developed with the input of long-time SPEAR volunteer Helen Gillingham, and feedback from clients and keyworkers.