First Give works in partnership with secondary schools to help young people to give their time, tenacity and talents to improve their local communities. The First Give Programme is delivered through a fully resourced scheme of work that is interactive and student-led. The Programme encourages an entire year group of students to identify social issues in their area and engage with local charities that address them.
First Give provides lesson plans and resources including PowerPoints, hard copy Student Coursebooks and video links, as well as a total of £1,000 grant money for each school awarded to the charity of the winning team. In addition to this, First Give will also deliver an Assembly and host the School Final in order to further engage and inspire students. The students will then have the opportunity to compete for £1,000 of grant money for their chosen charity. Teams will do this by advocating for their charity in a school competition.
First Give offers all this to schools for £500 for the school
How can SPEAR help you do well in your schools competition?
Our Fundraising team is happy to give a talk on the charity’s mission and goal while answering any unanswered questions, allowing groups to finish highly in their schools competition.
SPEAR has a number of publications online to help you be better informed about our work. You can use information from these in your presentation, for example our Impact Reports.
SPEAR has been fortunate enough to be chosen by a few groups in various schools where Ursuline High School and Raynes Park High School in Merton were selected as winners.
To organise a speaker to come in to speak to your group, please call us on 020 7036 9774 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why should my school get involved in First Give
We have found that Secondary School pupils are amongst the most socially engaged people we meet at our presentations and First Give enables them to not only engage with the detail of a social problem and look at solutions but a key part of the programme is to take part in a social action that is relevant to the chosen charity.
First Give statistics show what a positive impact this programme has on pupils
- 88% of pupils say their awareness of social issues and community needs improves
- 93% of pupils say they may continue to do more social action after First Give
- 90% of pupils reported that they had improved a key skill
How to get involved
- Make sure your school is registered and if it’s not, get your school registered! You can do this by clicking here.
- Your school receives lesson plans and resources from First Give
- Your school starts teaching and you start learning about the First Give scheme
- Choose SPEAR as your charity to do your presentation on
- You let us know that you have chosen SPEAR by emailing email@example.com or calling us on 020 7036 9774
- We organise a speaker to come speak to your group and provide you with lots of useful resources SPEAR has published in the past
- You do your presentation
- Hopefully you come out on top and tell us about the fantastic news